Macau Marathon 3 Dec 06

A few of my colleagues and climbing mates ran the 5km and 21km events in this morning’s marathon in Macau, so we decided to make the trip to Macau to show our support.
We took the 0815 Turbojet ferry from Shun Tak (Super Class, HK$256 pax 1-way). There were only a few of us on the upper deck and having paid about HK$100 more, we were given priority to board and disembark the ferry, and we were served some light breakfast (cupcake, crossiant, orange juice and fruits). It was quite relaxing throughout the hour long ride except for the waters which were a bit rough at certain parts, but nothing comparable to the horrible conditions we had at the King Cruiser Wreck, Phuket/Phi Phi area.

Anyway, by the time we disembarked, went through the immigration checks, got on Bus No. 28A to the stadium, our friends had completed their respective events. But we managed to see some other runners along the way, and felt their perserverance as they made their way to the finish line. Reminds me of the Beatles’ song “The Long And Winding Road”.

D and I are somewhat challenged to do the 10km run in the coming StanChart Marathon on the 4 March 07. It’s been a long long time since I last ran (2.4 km in secondary school and a cross-country race through the old Turf Club). I have been careful not to put too much stress on my left knee after my surgery to remove my torn meniscus.
If I do want to do the 10km run, I had better start waking up those dormant quads… well actually, they are just being trained to do other things like climbing and finning. Maybe it’s high time these legs of mine go back to the basics 🙂

We had originally planned to do some climbing at an outdoor wall in Macau, which apparently was near the hotel where my colleagues were staying in. D and another friend went to check it out and found out that the wall would be available for use from 11 am to  1 pm and closed from 1 pm to 3pm before it reopens again. We wouldn’t be able to climb since we had a lunch appointment and the ferry back to HK leaves at 3.15pm. Maybe next time, we would include a night’s stay, lap a few rounds in the go-karts and have some fun in the casinos.

The trip back to HK was marred by the fact that this old chap told us to go to the Super Class lounge and we waited thinking someone would inform us to board the ferry since our tics give us the priority to do so. However no one did and we realised something wasn’t quite right when those in the economy class began to board. In the end we had to join the crowd and queued up with the rest of the people. And the ferry we were on was an old one (definitely not as comfy or classy as the one we took in the morning), and the service was not good. Very disappointing.

All in all, it was still a good day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s